scripture pic

scripture pic

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Abraham and Isaac and the Sacrifice On Mount Moriah Part 1, The Accuser of the Brethren, The Assignment of Angels


In this account of Abraham sacrificing Isaac there are some very interesting details that surface in our historical writings that coincide with many biblical passages we tend to overlook.  Here we can see a very full picture of what took place before during and after that incident when we put all the records together.  This story is marvelous as it tells us so many interesting things about the character of Abraham and Isaac.  It also shows us the accuser in action. 

Gen 22:1-12 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

We see Abraham obeying Elohim, not questioning or doubting his voice. Jasher precedes this command by God with a little insight to Ishmael and Isaac.

Jasher 22:40And Isaac the son of Abraham was growing up in those days, and Abraham his father taught him the way of the Lord to know the Lord, and the Lord was with him.41And when Isaac was thirty-seven years old, Ishmael his brother was going about with him in the tent.42And Ishmael boasted of himself to Isaac, saying, I was thirteen years old when the Lord spoke to my father to circumcise us, and I did according to the word of the Lord which he spoke to my father, and I gave my soul unto the Lord, and I did not transgress his word which he commanded my father.43And Isaac answered Ishmael, saying, Why dost thou boast to me about this, about a little bit of thy flesh which thou didst take from thy body, concerning which the Lord commanded thee?44As the Lord liveth, the God of my father Abraham, if the Lord should say unto my father, Take now thy son Isaac and bring him up an offering before me, I would not refrain but I would joyfully accede to it.45And the Lord heard the word that Isaac spoke to Ishmael, and it seemed good in the sight of the Lord, and he thought to try Abraham in this matter.

First point here is if you verbalize something do not be surprised when it comes to pass.  Secondly remember God hears everything but so does the devil, who is ready to accuse. Thirdly, one up-man-ship doesn’t really work out to our advantage.

Jasher 22:46 And the day arrived when the sons of God came and placed themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with the sons of God before the Lord.47And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? and Satan answered the Lord and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.48And the Lord said to Satan, What is thy word to me concerning all the children of the earth? and Satan answered the Lord and said, I have seen all the children of the earth who serve thee and remember thee when they require anything from thee.49And when thou givest them the thing which they require from thee, they sit at their ease, and forsake thee and they remember thee no more.50Hast thou seen Abraham the son of Terah, who at first had no children, and he served thee and erected altars to thee wherever he came, and he brought up offerings upon them, and he proclaimed thy name continually to all the children of the earth.51And now that his son Isaac is born to him, he has forsaken thee, he has made a great feast for all the inhabitants of the land, and the Lord he has forgotten.52For amidst all that he has done he brought thee no offering; neither burnt offering nor peace offering, neither ox, lamb nor goat of all that he killed on the day that his son was weaned.53Even from the time of his son's birth till now, being thirty-seven years, he built no altar before thee, nor brought any offering to thee, for he saw that thou didst give what he requested before thee, and he therefore forsook thee.54And the Lord said to Satan, Hast thou thus considered my servant Abraham? for there is none like him upon earth, a perfect and an upright man before me, one that feareth God and avoideth evil; as I live, were I to say unto him, Bring up Isaac thy son before me, he would not withhold him from me, much more if I told him to bring up a burnt offering before me from his flock or herds.55And Satan answered the Lord and said, Speak then now unto Abraham as thou hast said, and thou wilt see whether he will not this day transgress and cast aside thy words.
Jasher 23:1At that time the word of the Lord came to Abraham, and he said unto him, Abraham, and he said, Here I am.2And he said to him, Take now thy son, thine only son whom thou lovest, even Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which shall be shown to thee, for there wilt thou see a cloud and the glory of the Lord.

I think Satan’s testimony of Abraham is very interesting, and while he’s using it as an accusation in the end, the facts are the true. Abraham witnessed to all the inhabitants of the earth, served God, and he erected altars to God.  Now lets look at the account in Jubilees.

Jubilees 17:15. And it came to pass in the seventh week, in the first year thereof, in the first month in this jubilee, on the twelfth of this month, there were voices in heaven regarding Abraham, that he was faithful in all that He told him, and that he loved the Lord, and that in every affliction he was faithful. 16. And the prince Mastêmâ came and said before God, "Behold, Abraham loveth Isaac his son, and he delighteth in him above all things else; bid him offer him as a burnt-offering on the altar, and Thou wilt see if he will do this command, and Thou wilt know if he is faithful in everything wherein Thou dost try him." 17. And the Lord knew that Abraham was faithful in all his afflictions; for He had tried him through his country and with famine, and had tried him with the wealth of kings, and had tried him again through his wife, when she was torn (from him), and with circumcision, and had tried him through Ishmael and Hagar, his maid-servant, when he sent them away.18. And in everything wherein He had tried him, he was found faithful, and his soul was not impatient, and he was not slow to act; for he was faithful and a lover of the Lord.
Jubilees18:1 And God said to him, "Abraham, Abraham"; and he said, "Behold, (here) am I."  And He said, "Take thy beloved son whom thou lovest, (even) Isaac, and go unto the high country,  and offer him on one of the mountains which I will point out unto thee."

References as in Jasher and Jubilees exist in Job where the Son’s of God (ben elohiym) come before Yahweh presenting themselves. We don’t exactly know why the sons of God do this but they do.  Some definitions describe this as responding and possibly stationing themselves above and around Yahweh. Telling, is Yahweh’s question to satan “What is thy word to me concerning all the children of the earth?” Yahweh is asking for a report from satan, and possibly the other sons of God as there were voices in heaven regarding Abraham. Satan gives an account of Abraham’s actions for the last 50 years. That is a long time to have to remember someone else’s actions when most of us can’t even remember what we ate for breakfast this morning. Satan brings up how Abraham worshipped and served until Isaac was born and weaned, and since that time, about 30 years, he hasn’t worshipped and built any altars to God.  Really? The guy is over 100 years old.  I find that Yahweh’s defense of Abraham is that he is perfect, upright, fears God and avoids evil, which is something we should take special note of.  Abraham’s walk, as a Melchizedek Priest, is perfect, upright, fearing God and avoiding evil.  That is our call as well. Job’s situation is one we don’t talk much about because we don’t understand why trouble comes upon the righteous.  Job’s account of this even as standing alone seems confusing, but with corresponding text from Jasher, it seems easier to understand. Obviously God wanted us to know about it otherwise it would not be written in the book of Job. Here we see Yahweh’s defense of Job as perfect, upright, fearing God and avoiding evil. 

Job 1:5-12 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.KJV

Job 2:1-7 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.2 And the Lord said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.3 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.4 And Satan answered the Lord, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.5 But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.6 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.KJV

We see again that the sons of God come before Yahweh a second time and again satan shows up to accuse Job.  This must be regular meetings between Yahweh and the angels and messengers of God. From the book of Enoch we have an interesting account of some of the responsibilities of the sons of God. These four angels have been given responsibilities over mankind.

Enoch 40:1. And after that I saw thousands of thousands and ten thousand times ten thousand, I saw a multitude beyond number and reckoning, who stood before the Lord of Spirits. 2. And on the four sides of the Lord of Spirits I saw four presences, different from those that sleep not, and I learnt their names: for the angel that went with me made known to me their names, and showed me all the hidden things.3. And I heard the voices of those four presences as they uttered praises before the Lord of glory. 4. The first voice blesses the Lord of Spirits for ever and ever. 5. And the second voice I heard blessing the Elect One and the elect ones who hang upon the Lord of Spirits. 6. And the third voice I heard pray and intercede for those who dwell on the earth and supplicate in the name of the Lord of Spirits. 7. And I heard the fourth voice fending off the Satans and forbidding them to come before the Lord of Spirits to accuse them who dwell on the earth. 8. After that I asked the angel of peace who went with me, who showed me everything that is hidden: 'Who are these four presences which I have seen and whose words I have heard and written down?' 9. And he said to me: 'This first is Michael, the merciful and long-suffering: and the second, who is set over all the diseases and all the wounds of the children of men, is Raphael: and the third, who is set over all the powers, is Gabriel: and the fourth, who is set over the repentance unto hope of those who inherit eternal life, is named Phanuel.' And these are the four angels of the Lord of Spirits and the four voices I heard in those days.

If these four presences or maybe Angels are given assignments over us then other sons of God have assignments as well.  In the book of Daniel we have the account of Daniel being visited by one of the sons of God and that messenger needed the help of Michael as they were battling the Prince of Persia. 

Dan 10:1-9 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.4 And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel;5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.KJV

Some speculate this would be the angel Gabriel who was talking to Daniel, however prior to this incident, Daniel was visited by Gabriel twice and identifies him both times. Yet Daniel does not identify him in this battle as being the one who needed Michael’s help.  I would think the strength of one Archangel (our terminology not the bible’s) is superior to satan’s strength, however if the one getting the message through was a watcher or messenger, and not an Archangel the watcher may have less power and authority then the Archangels, thereby needing a hand to get Daniels message through.

Dan 8:15-19 And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.16 And I heard a man's voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision.17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.19 And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.KJV

Dan 9:21-22 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.KJV

 In chapter 20 of Enoch we find another grouping of Angels with their functions, some of which are functions in spiritual places as hell and paradise.  Interestingly we see that Gabriel is one of the holy Angels over the Cherubim.  Lucifer was an anointed Cherub therefore Gabriel has authority over him.  That would seem to make the messenger of Daniel 10, not Gabriel, but a being with lesser authority. 


Enoch 20:1. And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. 2. Uriel, one of the holy angels, who is over the world and over Tartarus. 3. Raphael, one of the holy angels, who is over the spirits of men. 4. Raguel, one of the holy angels who †takes vengeance on† the world of the luminaries. 5. Michael, one of the holy angels, to wit, he that is set over the best part of mankind ⌈⌈and⌉⌉ over chaos. 6. Saraqâêl, one of the holy angels, who is set over the spirits, who sin in the spirit. 7. Gabriel, one of the holy angels, who is over Paradise and the serpents and the Cherubim. 8. Remiel, one of the holy angels, whom God set over those who rise.

Fast forward now to David; we see something interesting. The anger of Yahweh was stirred against David’s actions.

2 Sam 24:1-10 And again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.2 For the king said to Joab the captain of the host, which was with him, Go now through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan even to Beer-sheba, and number ye the people, that I may know the number of the people.3 And Joab said unto the king, Now the Lord thy God add unto the people, how many soever they be, an hundredfold, and that the eyes of my lord the king may see it: but why doth my lord the king delight in this thing?4 Notwithstanding the king's word prevailed against Joab, and against the captains of the host……….8 So when they had gone through all the land, they came to Jerusalem at the end of nine months and twenty days.9 And Joab gave up the sum of the number of the people unto the king: and there were in Israel eight hundred thousand valiant men that drew the sword; and the men of Judah were five hundred thousand men.10 And David's heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the Lord, I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O Lord, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.KJV

Commentators speculate that this was a sin of pride, David being prideful wanted to know how many people he ruled over.  Some also believe that David’s intent was to start a draft in Israel rather than the volunteer army they had. Either idea fits however the Lord did not want Israel numbered at this time, Israel was numbered at other times, but this time Israel was not to be numbered.  Chronicles tells us that it was satan that provoked David to do this.  It seems that satan may have accused David before God and God said OK.  Yet David failed this test, and there had to be a price paid.

1 Chron 21:1-8 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.2 And David said to Joab and to the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel from Beer-sheba even to Dan; and bring the number of them to me, that I may know it.3 And Joab answered, The Lord make his people an hundred times so many more as they be: but, my lord the king, are they not all my lord's servants? why then doth my lord require this thing? why will he be a cause of trespass to Israel?.....7 And God was displeased with this thing; therefore he smote Israel.8 And David said unto God, I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing: but now, I beseech thee, do away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.KJV

Since there had to be atonement for David’s sin, God gave David a choice of three punishments. 

1 Chron 21:9-20 And the Lord spake unto Gad, David's seer, saying,10 Go and tell David, saying, Thus saith the Lord, I offer thee three things: choose thee one of them, that I may do it unto thee.11 So Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Choose thee12 Either three years' famine; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee; or else three days the sword of the Lord, even the pestilence, in the land, and the angel of the Lord destroying throughout all the coasts of Israel. Now therefore advise thyself what word I shall bring again to him that sent me.13 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the Lord; for very great are his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.14 So the Lord sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men.

There were people that paid the price of David’s sin. Those people were not wrong or more wicked than anyone else, but there had to be a payment, similar to martyrdom. There needed to be shedding of innocent blood. Here we see Yahweh sending a messenger to carry out the punishment. I wonder how many times innocent people die for the sins of rulers and leaders.

15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.16 And David lifted up his eyes, and saw the angel of the Lord stand between the earth and the heaven, having a drawn sword in his hand stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders of Israel, who were clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.17 And David said unto God, Is it not I that commanded the people to be numbered? even I it is that have sinned and done evil indeed; but as for these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, O Lord my God, be on me, and on my father's house; but not on thy people, that they should be plagued.18 Then the angel of the Lord commanded Gad to say to David, that David should go up, and set up an altar unto the Lord in the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.19 And David went up at the saying of Gad, which he spake in the name of the Lord.20 And Ornan turned back, and saw the angel; and his four sons with him hid themselves. Now Ornan was threshing wheat.KJV

David was heartbroken over the deaths of the Israelites, he was mourning along with the elders. He asks God for his hand to be on him and his father’s house instead of on the people. David was remorseful.  I think it is interesting to explore that the accuser accuses us before God day and night.  He is not resting, he is looking for ways to mess us up and God sometimes allows him to do it.  God sets parameters for satan and he must stay between the boundaries which God gives.

Rev 12:9-10 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.KJV

How will people during that time, the time when satan is cast down to earth overcome them? They will overcome satan by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony, and they are willing martyrs.

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.KJV

Since it is obvious that satan has not been cast down to earth yet and that he still has access to Yahweh’s ear as he accuses us, we should not be surprised when bad things happen.  Here are some words of encouragement for us today, we suffer being accused before God day and night, and we have to have a plan or a strategy to endure it just like Abraham did.  He totally submitted his ways to God, which is why he did not suffer loss. He developed a personal relationship with God as we have seen, he followed God wherever he was led, made disciples of all the people he lived around, and he trusted God through it all.  As for Job he did suffer loss, yet in Jobs case there may be another reason for his loss as we will explore later.  However in the end Job was restored. 

In the Book the Wisdom of Sirach, aka Ecclesiasticus we read:
Ecclus 2:1-11 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation.2 Set thy heart aright, and constantly endure, and make not haste in time of trouble.3 Cleave unto him, and depart not away, that thou mayest be increased at thy last end.4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate.5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.6 Believe in him, and he will help thee; order thy way aright, and trust in him.7 Ye that fear the Lord, wait for his mercy; and go not aside, lest ye fall.8 Ye that fear the Lord, believe him; and your reward shall not fail.9 Ye that fear the Lord, hope for good, and for everlasting joy and mercy.10 Look at the generations of old, and see; did ever any trust in the Lord, and was confounded? or did any abide in his fear, and was forsaken? or whom did he ever despise, that called upon him?11 For the Lord is full of compassion and mercy, longsuffering, and very pitiful, and forgiveth sins, and saveth in time of affliction.KJV

It says “believe in him, and he will help thee; order thy way aright, and trust in him.7 Ye that fear the Lord, wait for his mercy; and go not aside, lest ye fall. What was God’s testimony of Abraham and Job?  They were perfect, upright, feared God and avoided evil. These are some good things to think on regarding our personal walk.

1 Cor 10:12-13 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.KJV

Why is temptation common to man? Because the accuser of the brethren accuses us before Yahweh day and night and there are only so many things you can do to a human being.

1 Tim 6:6-11 But godliness with contentment is great gain.7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.KJV

What if satan also accuses nations? What if he has accused nations for national sins and set up a system for us to utterly implode?  What if we face a national crisis because satan accused our nation before God and God said, OK. Timothy tells us that people fall more so when they are rich and lustful but that we should be content with what we have.

James 1:12-15 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.KJV

If we endure we will receive a crown, one of five which are righteousness, glory, incorruptible, rejoicing, and a crown of life.  Why do we go through hard times? It is a trying of our faith, trust, and fear of God.  Yet sometimes we stray and that brings justified accusation. Just like satan said as recorded in Jasher, all the people remember Yahweh when they need something and when Yahweh provides they forget about Him.  Wow, that is a good reality check.  Is God like a vending machine to us? Do we run from evil and submit ourselves to Him? Do we die to self and take up our Cross?

Back to Abraham from Josephus’s perspective.

CONCERNING ISAAC THE LEGITIMATE SON OF ABRAHAM.
Josephus 13:1. Now Abraham greatly loved Isaac, as being his only begotten and given to him at the borders of old age, by the favor of God. The child also endeared himself to his parents still more, by the exercise of every virtue, and adhering to his duty to his parents, and being zealous in the worship of God. Abraham also placed his own happiness in this prospect, that, when he should die, he should leave this his son in a safe and secure condition; which accordingly he obtained by the will of God: who being desirous to make an experiment of Abraham's religious disposition towards himself, appeared to him, and enumerated all the blessings he had bestowed on him; how he had made him superior to his enemies; and that his son Isaac, who was the principal part of his present happiness, was derived from him; and he said that he required this son of his as a sacrifice and holy oblation. Accordingly he commanded him to carry him to the mountain Moriah, and to build an altar, and offer him for a burnt-offering upon it for that this would best manifest his religious disposition towards him, if he preferred what was pleasing to God, before the preservation of his own son.

Josephus notes that God used Abraham like an experiment to see his disposition toward God (who being desirous to make an experiment of Abraham's religious disposition towards himself). Would Abraham do what God wanted or attempt to preserve his son.  Would he negotiate with God for a better deal, or would he question God’s decision.  Abraham had total self abandonment. Abraham did what we should do. And if we live like Abraham then we can be called children of Abraham.